Monday, May 25, 2009

Euclid's Dream-Angles R Us

We basically finished painting today. Now that it is all one color the geometry "pops". It's all the angles in the universe in one place.

Standing in the center of the nave and looking up toward the altar.
Standing just inside the entry looking up and right. (The tiny bit of arch in the lower right is the entry from the narthex into the nave.)
Standing in the center and looking back toward the entry up into the left corner. (The arch in the lower left is the entrance from the narthex into the nave.)

This is the detail at the top of the columns.
Standing in the center and looking left into the chanters wing dormer.
Standing in the center and looking up and left into the dome.
Standing in the center and looking up and left again, a little lower.
Standing in the center and looking back toward the entry and to the right. (The arch at the bottom again is from the narthex.)

When they got the drawings back from the conceptual artist he said "You wanted ANGELS on the ceiling? I thought you wrote ANGLES!" Note to self on Abbott Meletios' desk: Don't let monks who can't spell write proposals.

9 comments:

Kirk said...

Wow!!

Rosko said...

Is that bit about the angels true?

Steve Robinson said...

No, I made that up. I was originally going to title the post "How Many Angles Can Dance on the Head of a Pin". :)

Rosko said...

Oh okay. That would have been a great title!

123 said...

May God repay you! Beautiful work. I can't do the most basic of drywall repair (I've tried, it was horrible), so I know how difficult this was.

Matthew Francis said...

Is it going to be completely covered in iconography?

Abraham said...

Wow! This reminds me of Salvador Dali's Last supper painting mhttp://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/NYG/9809.jpg

Steve Robinson said...

Orr, yeah, I told the contractor I had to pull out every minute of my 27 years of experience on this one.
Matthew, I'm sure there will be frescoes in the future, but not until the balloon payment is made on the property. Abe: PERFECT!

Unknown said...

The Geometry teacher in me is loving it...and thankful I didn't have to do the work!